Sunday, October 28, 2012

Halloween Menu Plan

One of my goals for this fall was to create weekly menu plans. I haven't written about it recently (technically I haven't written about anything recently), but this is a goal that I have had a lot of success with. I started trying to develop menu plans last year and found it really helpful. My partner and I ate healthier. We also saved money because less food was going to waste and we plan meals so that we have something for lunch the next day, thus saving the expense of going out to lunch. For some reason my menu planning tapered off last winter/spring and had to be re-invigorated this fall.

Minneapolis in the fall - photo by Shaun Daniel
I usually make a menu plan on Saturday morning and then got to the Farmers Market either Saturday or Sunday. This week we went to the farmers market today (Sunday) so that's when the menu plan starts. I thought my efforts at menu planning might be helpful for others. We are predominantly vegan and you may notice that a lot of the recipes come from the Post Punk Kitchen (one of my favorite sites) or Veganomicon, which I recently checked out from the library and will likely have to purchase since I have been using it so much.

Sunday:
  • Tofu Enchiladas - don't have a specific recipe, but I was planning on mashing up silken tofu with some sauteed onions, garlic, cumin and oregano - wrapping this mixture in tortillas - pouring some type of tomato based sauce (I usually add Mexican spices to store bought tomato sauce and call it enchilada sauce) over it and baking it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
  • Salad 
  • Mexican Millet - recipe from Veganomicon
Monday
  • Butternut squash soup
  • Biscuits (probably half whole wheat flour, half all purpose)
  • Sunflower "cheese" sauce - the recipe for cheese sauce is also from the Post Punk Kitchen, I really like it because it is tasty, easy, fast, and does not use cashews which are expensive
Tuesday
  • Beet burgers - also from PPK - this is a new recipe, but the picture looks quite "meaty" which is intriguing
  • Sweet potato fries 
Wednesday (Halloween)
  • Pumpkin Saag - from Veganomicon - I am particularly excited about trying this recipe as saag is one of my favorite Indian dishes.
  • Barley (rice would also be good)
Thursday
  • Pasta e fagioli - Veganomicon - but I know their is also a good recipe in the Vegetarian Epicure 
  • Salad
Friday
  • leftovers! 
I'll let you know how some of the recipes turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment